Monday, November 3, 2014

How To Cook with Fresh Pumpkin

First, you will want to start with pie pumpkins.


Place them on a large tray or roaster pan.



Bake at 350* for 1 1/2 hours. 
That seems like a long time to bake, but this is the easiest way. There is no cutting into a hard pumpkin or having to peel the skin off. I like to bake them the night before I need them that way they have time to cool.

Once cooled, cut them open ( or use your hands! ). Remove the seeds and save for later if you'd like. Then scoop out the pumpkin flesh.

 I then run the pumpkin through one of my favorite kitchen appliances. Its a tomato press.



 I use it for making apple sauce, tomato sauce and pumpkin puree. It is a must have if you make any of these😀. It separates the 'good' stuff from the skin and seeds. I run the pumpkin thru, even tho it is already mush, because the press gives it a smooth texture.



...and there ya have it! Fresh, delicious pumpkin puree, ready to use in your favorite recipe!


-Tiffany


2 comments:

Melba Tomeo said...

I'm going to try this tomorrow! Thanks for the instructions.

Tiffany said...

oh good! i have extra pumpkins if ya need em!! :)