Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Chilli Cornbread Bake



This recipe is a yummy comfort food perfect for this time of year. And another bonus is that it is super easy and it is a complete meal and you only use one skillet!! (That is of course, if you use cast iron, if not then you will have to use a baking dish as well).

First, make your favorite chilli. I used ground beef, onion, bell pepper, garlic, Italian seasoning, chilli seasoning, corn, black beans and spaghetti sauce.



If you are using a cast iron skillet, then leave the chilli in pan and shut off heat. Make sure your pan is not too full of chilli. I had to remove about a third of my chill to make room for cornbread topping. Your chilli should fill about half of the skillet. 
If you are not using a cast iron skillet, then now is the time to transfer your chilli to a baking dish.

Next, put on the cheese layer. I use cheddar cheese sauce. I buy it in a large can at Sam's Club. I didn't measure how much I used, I just put a decent layer down! The more, the yummier! 


Now its time for the cornbread layer. You can use your own recipe or use my recipe. (Recipe follows). I drop it in dollops over the top of the cheese so it is easier to spread.


Now spread smooth....


Now bake at 350* for 40-50 minutes. Edges will be slightly brown when its done. Check center for doneness. 



We had this for dinner last night and there were no leftovers!

Cornbread

1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 egg
1 1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup melted butter

Mix dry ingredients.
Add in wet ingredients
Mix until blended. 

Dollop over chilli and spread evenly.
  
I love easy recipes!!

Have a wonder-fall day! 
-Tiffany

No comments: