Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Homestead Update! ...and why we got rid of our chickens!


So its been awhile....some of you probably gave up on coming back to look for new posts...I would have! But so many of you have come back daily and looked through old posts! Thank you! Business of life has kept me away. Oh and a malfunction in my tablet I use for blogging left me empty handed! But its all fixed! Yay!! So I figured with a lot of exciting stuff happening around our homestead, an update was much needed before I start into my other posts I have planned!


Here's some of whats been going on:

The garden before...

 




And after... Yes, that's my soon-to-be 12 year old daughter tilling the garden! Ah, she's grown up so fast!



My hubby's tractor.... He worked on another dirt project to try and get a not-so-bumpy yard!!


Garden planting! We made mounds for the zuchinni, yellow squash, spaghetti squash and cucumbers. Then we straw mulched to help with the weeds.


Here's the other side of the garden. Two rows of tomatoes with cedar chips and coffee grounds added at the base of each plant.


Blueberry field is flourishing. We have 47 bushes and only a few didn't produce this year! Looking forward to a blueberry pie perhaps! Maybe even some jam!


Just had to share this pic of the baby  helping me trim the weeds around the blueberry bushes!! He was the sweetest berry in the field!! 


And here's why we got rid of our chickens!!.... I had just got done REPLANTING my garden. My friend came over and gave me a hand with the REPLANTING of all of my squash and cucumbers and plant a large crop of beans and putting up fence. I had to replant because the chickens are the entire first crop that I planted!! Despite my efforts at fencing them and putting netting over their fence,they still managed to escape each day and scratch up everything! This pic was taken shortly after putting up the fence... Grrr!! They scratched up several rows of bean seeds, ate all of my zuchinni and cucumber seeds and have been stealing blueberries! So we decided to give them to a friend (thanks Nat!), and plan to make a bigger fenced in area throughout our woods and start over next spring.


Some upcoming posts will include lots of garden stuff, also, since 5 out of 6 of my kids have June birthdays, I will be sharing some party ideas and cake decorating soon. I think I will refer to my children as Minions! Cute, funny, and prone to do something put of the ordinary....lol!! So, Minion 5 had his 5th birthday this past Sunday, he wanted a Ninja Turtle cake, so I will show how you can make one. Also, my 3 Minionettes will celebrate their birthdays this Friday with an indoor camping slumber party. I will be making personal tents for each girl. I will do a how to post with some party ideas and how to make your own play tent. 
So be sure to come back and check things out!

Have a great day!
What all have you been up to so far this spring? Gardening? Parties? Picnicking?
Let me know in the comments below!
I'd love to her some new ideas!
-Tiffany



No comments: